Building Strong Family Bonds During COVID-19
Living so closely for the last month may be a huge stressor on family bonds, but we can also take this time to strengthen those bonds between family members as we learn a new way to live. By taking the time to recognize these important relationship building moments, we begin to live in the moment and also help ourselves deal in a stressful time.
- Notice and promote the activities that get your children playing together.
- Don’t interrupt happy play.
- If you have more than two children, designate special time for 2 children to spend time together.
- Put your kids in charge of a project together.
For the whole family
- Schedule 1-2 hours when you can all do something together, like playing a board game or family movie time.
- Work together to make a schedule for the next day, including everyone in both the fun activities and the chores.
- If you happen to be in a situation where you can only see each other via video chat, make sure to stick to a regularly scheduled meetup.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that you take care of yourself first. Keeping your own body and mind heathy during this time will help you stay positive, which will help maintain strong family relationships.
Are you struggling with family stress during this time?
The Therapy Centre has skilled Psychologists, Social Workers and Psychotherapists who effectively treat a variety of issues that may arise from the COVID-19 situation including anxiety, stress, fears, health anxiety, issues related to isolation and loneliness, how to manage uncertainty and how to increase ones tolerance for the unknown.
At The Therapy Centre we are now offering Telehealth services including secure phone sessions and videoconferencing.
Our offices are located at 2525 Old Bronte Road in Oakville and 849 Upper Wentworth Street in Hamilton-just minutes from the QEW and easily accessible from Peel Region, Halton Region, Halton Hills, Stoney Creek and Niagara Region.