Couples and Family Therapy Services
Couples Therapy Services
Mary Cook, M.Ed. offers Emotion-Focused Therapy to couples who are experiencing difficulties in their relationships. She has been extensively trained in this model, formulated by Dr. Sue Johnson and Les Greenberg, and is currently involved in ongoing training and supervision.
EFT has been validated by 20 years of empirical research and has been applied successfully to many different kinds of problems and populations. The goals of Emotion-Focused Therapy for Couples include:
- To expand and re-organize key emotional responses.
- To create a shift in partners’ interactional positions and initiate new cycles of interaction.
- To foster the creation of a secure bond between partners.
Family Therapy Services
We offer services to identify and treat a variety of family problems, including:
- Separation and Divorce Issues
- Concerns of Blended Families
- Parenting Skills Training
- Relationship Difficulties
- Eating Disorders
The focus of family therapy is to improve family functioning as a system, to facilitate healthy communication and to develop skills to manage emotions in the family. We use evidence-based treatment to improve the overall functioning of the family unit. We recognize the complex interconnectedness of a family and its members and how each member can affect each other’s thoughts, feelings and actions. A systems approach to treatment is generally used to facilitate changes within the family unit.